Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A person's a person, no matter how small




Many of you have heard me talk lately about my friend Heather and her triplets. In fact, if you are in my address book, I've probably asked you to pray for her. I want to take a minute to tell you a little bit about her story, in the hopes that it will touch your heart the way it has touched mine.

First, Heather is literally my oldest friend. We met when we were four, the age my daughter is today. We then attended the same school and were in the same classes from pre-kindergarten all the way through seventh grade. She was, and still is, one of my most cherished friends.

There's just something special about the friends that share your history. You know, those friends that you don't have to provide any background to or describe your relatives to when telling a story because they know exactly who, what, when, and where you are referring to, possibly even before you get to that part. Heather is one of my few friends who knew me before my parents got divorced and whom I have shared so much of my life with for the past twenty-five, yes twenty-five, years.

Heather is the kind of person who was born to be a mom. She comes from a big family, and if we choose to have (or are given anyway) another child, I will model my household after hers. Yes, they had their share of chaos, but I always felt welcome at her home. I always knew that her parents would take whatever it was in stride and even laugh about it later. Her house was always warm and inviting- a true home, if you will. And Heather, the only girl amongst four brothers, was always a mom to someone. I think this is partly why she chose to become a nurse...she's a natural fixer and comforter.

She will be the kind of mom who lets her kids fingerpaint....on the carpet.....twice. She'll make the fingerpaint herself, from Earth-friendly ingredients and natural dyes, and then sit back and watch while her kids paint everything in sight, smiling the whole time. And then, when they eat the paint (trust me- they ALWAYS eat the paint), Heather won't get mad or frustrated. She'll just say, "Well, what does yellow taste like?" (Needless to say, this is the kind of mom I would LOVE to one day become, but I would have a long way to go.)
She won't be picky about how straight their rooms are or if their hair looks perfect. She won't get caught up in worrying about them having the slightest bit of dirt on their shirt or all of her dishes being done before she goes to bed. But, her kids will always feel loved, know they are special, and be taught as much as one kid can be taught. They will be amazing, she will be amazing, and it will be amazing to watch the whole thing unfold.

Well, twenty-four weeks and five days into her much anticipated pregnancy, after facing problem after problem after problem, Heather has officially become a mother. Her three miracles were born this past Sunday. I literally cannot wait to meet Mary Louise, David Oliver, and Kuylen Stafford.

Being born so prematurely, I know the three of them (as well as Heather and Brent, her beloved hubby), have a long road ahead of them. But, you know, if anyone can handle this and come out smiling, it will be Heather. She will take each day in stride, rise to meet this ultimate challenge, and be made an even better, humble, wise, and wonderful person when all is said and done.

So, with all this being said, please pray for Heather, Brent, her family, and of course, three of the luckiest kids I know. If you'd like to stay up-to-date on their progress, please check her blog http://www.leblanctriplets.blogspot.com/ . I can't wait to share "when your mom was little" stories with them all and to celebrate another twenty-five years of being her friend....ok, well maybe I can wait on the twenty-five years part.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.