Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hey Moms- Guest post anyone?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how much my life has changed since my girls were born. I read a blog not too long ago where the writer talked about all the things she would NEVER let her kids do should she ever have any, and it occured to me that I used to do the same thing. It's so easy to cast judgement when it's not you in the mommy seat.

Since entering into the kingdom of motherhood, I've come to believe that being a mom is THE thing that people are the most opinionated about in the whole entire world. Seriously- I think it's more intense than religion or politics. What one mom couldn't 'live' without, another mom has never thought to use. What one mom would NEVER let her kid do, another mom lets her kids do every. single. day. We differ on every aspect of parenting, and yet so many of us have kids who turn out to be WONDERFUL in so many ways.
I'll be the first to admit that these differences were somewhat confusing and a little frustrating to me after Libby was first born. The "who do I listen to?" struggle was a bit much at times. However, six years and another baby later, I've come to realize that it's all about what works for you and your child. I mean, as long as your child is taken care of, what does it really matter what bottle brand you prefer, how long your kid takes a paci, and whether or not you prefer homemade baby food to store bought? We're all in the same boat here, and essentially we all are just trying to do the best we can as we struggle through motherhood and all the trials it entails.

With that being said, I've spent some time lately thinking about blogging and what it is that I love so much about it. There are so many things I adore, but I think my FAVORITE thing about blogging is that it helps me realize that I'm not the only mom out there whose kid doesn't always listen, whose house isn't ALWAYS in perfect order, and whose pj's seem to stay on a little too long each day. I think that the computer allows us to be a little more honest with each other than we would be at a playgroup with people we know in real life. And with honesty comes support-- I honestly find comfort in knowing I'm not the only one who sometimes struggles in my day-to-day life as a mom.

So, I'm asking to hear from some of you.... I'd like to a week's worth of guest posters who will post about "Which Mom Am I". It's a post for you to talk about anything from what you prefer, what drives you nutso, what you can't live without, what you let you kid do now that you never thought you'd allow, what inspires you most as a mother....basically anything you think could encourage another mom in some way.

If you're interested, leave me a comment or send me an e-mail (mccallald@yahoo.com) with your name, blog address, and at least one line from your will-be post. I'll choose a week's worth and let you know. Please try to do this by next Tuesday, September 28th. If you're chosen, I'll contact you Wednesday, September 29th, and the "Mom Fest" will take place the second week of October. Can't wait to hear about your take on the adventure that is motherhood!

9 comments:

  1. Several of you have sent me messages saying that you don't want to be the first one to leave a line from your post....I'm posting my own I AM THAT MOM tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek:

    I am that mom who had never spent an hour alone with a newborn baby until mine came home from the hospital.

    Ok, I've bitten the bullet-- your turn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable family. Fun blog.

    Stopping by from NFF.

    Sarah
    http://craftingandcreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now following you thanks to New Friends Friday and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog!
    Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday :)
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand! I too love that fact that blogging can help us realize we are not alone in "Mommy World"!! I also find it so interesting that each mommy is so very different... & how certain things are such a huge deal to other moms- but I don't even think about... but things that are a big deal to me- they don't even think about. :) How crazy is that!! I'm going to have to think up some "I am that mom" sayings!! I know I have lots! :)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower from Boost My Blog Friday! Hope you'll come and visit me at http://cheapskate4life.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! I can't wait to read some of these blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey - found you on New Friend Friday.

    I would totally be up for guest blogging, because I truly believe that "I was a better parent before I had kids." I had so many ideals that I wanted to uphold, but the reality of life is that you can't do everything perfectly, 100% of the time.

    I didn't want Adam to watch TV until at least 2. Fail. And now he watches everyday while I deal with morning sickness. I wanted to nurse him, and I did that successfully, but since Adam never had a drop of formula, I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure with the next baby. I doubt I'll be able to keep that up with a toddler to chase around, too. And finally, I rarely cook him vegetables. It's terrible. He went through a phase of not eating them, and I gave up. I don't eat a lot of veggies anyway, so I hated making them for him when he wouldn't eat them anyway.

    Okay, so there are 3 examples of how non-perfect I am. But you know what? He is happy, healthy, and smart. I haven't screwed him up too badly yet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, there. I'm a new follower. I stumbled across your blog from 30days. This is what I love about blogland. At just the exact moment I'm having certain "mom thoughts" someone, somewhere is having the same ones and can commiserate. Thank you for your openess!

    http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I am your newest follower from Friday Blog Hop. Come on by and don't forget to follow back :)

    Naomi
    Na-Miart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.