Friday, October 8, 2010

Trick or Treat Basket for Under $5

Halloween will be here before we know it, and this year I was hoping to have something super cute to hold the candy I will offer to trick-or-treaters.

Here's what I came up with:


First, I found this bucket at Target....



...and for a price of $2.50, I couldn't possibly resist.


Ok, now here's where you may want to improvise a bit. I used a sheet of felt and some black ribbon because this is what I had on hand. However, if I could have gotten my hands on some thick orange ribbon, that would have been a much easier endeavor. So, unless you've got felt lying around begging to be used, go with the roll of fat ribbon instead.



I cut my felt the length of the page into six fat strips and laid a piece of ribbon down the center of each piece.


Then I ran a needle and thread down the center. I used white thread just for you....so you can see that: a.) your sewing does not have to be neat and perfect by any means and b.) I'm seriously sewing with stitches that are far apart. Once you've stitched all the way to the end, pull the felt or ribbon until it bunches in the way you like best.


For a super quick easy version, simply fold the felt/ribbon combo accordion style, run your needle straight through it, and voila.


Your finished version will look something like this.  If you're using ribbon, you're already done with this part.
If you're using felt, then you'll need to repeat this process six times....see, I told you you should have gone the ribbon route.

When it came time to attach my ribbon to my bucket, I wasn't ready to make this version forever more for Halloween. I like it too much and may find another use for it in the next few months. So, instead of hot glue, I used double stick tape. In fact, I used this, simply because it's what I had on hand.  


Once you've attached it to the bucket, all that's left is to stock it to the brim with Halloween treats, sit back, and say 'thank you' whenever someone tells you how cute your treat bucket is. Smiling is optional, although highly recommended.



***Before you run off to start on this project, don't forget to enter my giveways for a super cute Halloween banner (Oct. 8-14) and an adorable stationary goodie set (super cute Halloween Oct. 9-11).***


Happy early Halloween to you and yours!





Linking to here, here, here, here, here, and here.

11 comments:

  1. This turned out darling! Don't you just love all of the inexpensive things you can score at the Dollar Spot at Target?

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting from weekend bloggy reading. Looks like a cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is precious!! I actually have one of those buckets too. Oh, the possibilities! Thanks for joining the party. :) Hope you'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute project! A simple and fun way to spice it up for fall!

    ~Stopping by from Amanda's link party (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those galvanized buckets! They are so versatile! You did a great job. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! What a great idea--kids are going to be really happy to see this filled with candy. :)

    Stopping by from Amanda's party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I hope you will come link it to my Halloween party this weekend. It would be a wonderful addition!

    whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! Who knew Target had below expected prices on things...
    You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie party.
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. lookin' good! i love the ruffles, too cute!

    i'm having a birthday giveaway, so stop on by the cape on the corner.

    www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! This is going to be fabulous filled with Halloween treats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so adorable, I love it! It just adds that touch of cuteness it needed! I'd love for you to link this up with our party and show it off. http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/all-about-you-monday-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.