Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's Soup Time Once Again {Recipe}

Man I love fall. Like for reals. It just makes me happy every. single. time. Between the candy corn and weather that makes me swoon on a daily basis, it's safe to say I'm crushing hard on this time of year.
And one thing that just SCREAMS fall to me: soup. Love, love, love it. Can't get enough. Would eat it at least twice a week if the mister weren't so adamantly opposed.

And here' s one of my favs:





It's Chicken Corn Chowder, and it's as easy as pie. Best part: it's crock pot approved.

Ingredients:

-chicken broth
-one can of yellow corn
-one can of white corn
-a finely chopped onion or onion powder, whichever you prefer
-a dash of garlic powder
-milk
-one can of cream of chicken soup
-one jar of pimentos
-two to three chicken breasts
-cheese (optional, but adds major yummy points)

This is a just go with it kinda recipe in terms of how much to add. I usually start with about three cups of chicken broth and one cup of milk, but it depends on your taste. If you want the soup to be soupier, add more; if you prefer it be thicker, add less. Just go easy on the milk. If you leave the frozen chicken breasts whole, you'll have to shred them (or chop them up into wee little pieces) once they've cooked. Unfortunately, the crock pot won't take care of this for you. Other than that, mix all your ingredients in the crock pot and let them cook on low for about three to four hours. Top with cheese, and enjoy the heck out of it.

And if you prefer the non- crock pot version, easy peasy. Simply cook your chicken breasts in advance using whatever method you so choose and cut or shred it prior to mixing it into the chowder.

Also, and this is of the utmost importance: this is best served with corn bread.

Happy Thursday to you and you and you.

Tonight we have open house for this one:



Let's hope she can come straight home and still go to bed on time, because tonight the only night of the week when I'm a devoted tv watcher.
Am I the only one out there who's counting down the hours until the Grey's Anatomy premiere?

And if you have a soup recipe you care to share, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, and one more thing: in a few hours my blog will be featured here. Check it out?
 I would appreciate it greatly, and so will the wee ones in your life-- their site is packed full of great ideas.


1 comment:

  1. So funny--we had soup tonight too! It was the first time I've ever made split pea soup b/c I was always scared that the kids wouldn't like it. Well...they LOVED it!

    1 package of diced ham (the tiny cubes)
    3 med. onions, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 cup carrot, chopped (I didn't have on hand)
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1, 16oz. bag of dried green split peas
    2 boxes of broth
    pepper
    3 bay leaves
    fresh or dried parsley
    I added a little 1/2 and 1/2 b/c I had some that was going to go bad in the fridge. It was yummo.

    Top with Oyster crackers.
    Crockpot approved! 6-8 hours on low.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.